[FOSDEM] first edition of the SDR devroom at fosdem ?

Frank Gevaerts frank at gevaerts.be
Thu Feb 8 10:35:16 CET 2018

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 09:07:10AM +0100, Kristoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is correct to say that -at first- FOSDEM was a pure "software"
> conference, and later grew into more not-pure-software subjects too (SDR,
> open harware, hardware developer tools, GEOspacial, ..)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "pure software" here. If geospatial and
hardware developer tools aren't, what about e.g. hardware drivers?

> I guess this change probably happened gradually but I would be nice to have
> a rought idea when this happened?

It's definitely true that FOSDEM changed over the years. It started (as
OSDEM, first change!) with three rooms after all.

Back in the "old" days there weren't any rooms dedicated to hardware
(I suspect partly because there weren't that many rooms to go round, and
partly because of open hardware popularity in general, at least my
impression of that) but you can find things like "Quantum computing" on
https://archive.fosdem.org/2001/program/index.html ,
https://archive.fosdem.org/2008/schedule/events/embedded_robot.html ,
https://archive.fosdem.org/2010/schedule/events/reprap.html , and
https://archive.fosdem.org/2004/2004/index/dev_room_embedded.html
(there are others, I just had a quick look)

I think someone else has already pointed it out, but most of the old
schedules are still available on fosdem.org if you want to have a
detailed look.

Frank