[FOSDEM] FOSDEM 2019 - Python devroom CFP

Eric Gazoni eric at adimian.com
Tue Oct 23 19:07:29 CEST 2018

Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce that we will be running a Python devroom again at
FOSDEM 2019, hosted in Brussels, Belgium. This year’s edition will take
place on the 2nd and 3rd of February, with the Python devroom being
available on Sunday. If you have not heard about FOSDEM before or are
looking for more information, you can visit the official website at www.
fosdem.org.

As per usual, we are looking for multiple Pythonistas to help us shape the
devroom schedule. We are now open for receiving your proposals! With over
8000 participants, FOSDEMis the perfect place to share your story and meet
fellow Python enthusiasts.

You can check the Python-FOSDEM website (https://www.python-fosdem.org) or
the Belgium Python mailing list (
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/belgium) to stay updated.

Good luck to everyone applying. We’re looking forward to meeting you all at
FOSDEM 2019!

[ABOUT FOSDEM]
Official website: https://fosdem.org/2019/

FOSDEM is a free and non-commercial event organised by the community for
the community. The goal is to provide free and open source software
developers and communities a place to meet to:

- get in touch with other developers and projects;
- be informed about the latest developments in the free software world;
- be informed about the latest developments in the open source world;
- attend interesting talks and presentations on various topics by project
leaders and committers;
- to promote the development and benefits of free software and open source
solutions.

Participation and attendance is totally free, though the organisers
gratefully accept donations and sponsorship.

[ESSENTIAL INFORMATION]
The devroom will be held on 03/02/2019, running from 9AM to 5PM
Submission link: https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM19
Talk format: 20min of content + 5min of questions

If you have submitted for previous FOSDEM editions, remember to use your
already existing account on Pentabarf.

Financial aid can be requested to FOSDEM organizers for presenters
traveling from outside Europe.

[SUBMITTION GUIDELINES]
If you would like to give a talk, present a project or show off some coding
skills, we are looking forward to receiving your application.

Submission platform: https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM19
Deadline: 01/12/2018
Announcement of selected talks: 15/12/2018
The sooner we can start planning a draft schedule the better, so please
submit your application ASAP.

Be sure to properly fill your Pentabarf profile (Person) with:
- your name
- a short speaker bio
- your contact information (for the organizers)

Then submit your talk (or event)
- title and subtitle of the presentation
- presentation description
- other relevant details (other publications, video of previous talks, ...)

Keep in mind presentations must be related to Python.
Next to this, all presentations will be streamed live under the FOSDEM content
licence and presented on the hallway screens in case the room is full.
Captured footage will later be shared online using the FOSDEM archives. By
submitting you also agree to these terms.

[LIST OF DESIRABLE TOPICS]
We'd like to have a devroom as diverse as possible, so we are looking to
offer a mixture of presentations, tutorials, demos, live coding,
discussions, etc.
Aside from the usual talks about free and open source, we will also gladly
welcome talks about:

- How to get started with library/framework X
- Best practices for new Python developers
- Return on experience with library/framework X
- Local Python communities & diversity
- How Python is being used for education
- Hardware / Infrastructure
- Security tools and securing Python
- Data science

[PENTABARF NOTES]
If you ever find yourself in doubt:
- "talks" are named "events" in Pentabarf
- Track must be "Python devroom"
- Duration must be "00:25:00"
- Event type must be "Lecture"
- Abstract is the text that goes in the FOSDEM booklet

[SOCIAL EVENT]
Every year, we have the tradition to crash somewhere to eat and drink while
discussing Python things. This year we will try to book for the event well
in advance, more details will follow on the mailing list and the website.

[VOLUNTEERS]
We will also call for volunteers to help us run the event and help us with
the devroom operation.
You can get in touch with the organizers on the Python-Belgium mailing list
(https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/belgium)

[ORGANIZERS]
You can reach out directly to the organizers if you have a specific request
or question:
- Eric Gazoni: eric at adimian.com
- Jens Roelant: jens at adimian.com

[USEFUL LINKS]