[FOSDEM] 20 years of t-shirts - a photo op?

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 10:56:16 CET 2020

Hi

> > I sill remember the t-shirt. I could wear my original SuSE not
> > openSUSE t-shirt. But.. don't want to upset the Debian people :) At
> > about 2000/2001 we were thinking that Fosdem was going to fail. Not
> > enough people. Looks like we were wrong. Nice to see that the
> > conference that I started back in 1994 as OSDEM
>
> 1994!?  I understood there has been only one OSDEM-event, in 2000 or 2001.  I
> read at https://archive.fosdem.org/2002/about/1200.html from sept 2001: "The
> first event was called OSDEM. The next edition will be called FOSDEM" which
> seems to support that.

No. We started about 1995. I was there the year before. I got it going
after some people at the university for an "Oopen source conference"
In a heavy English/Belgian accent. The only way I could pull in a
crowd in was to ask RMS to join in. Which he did.

> Do you have a link to stuff from the late nineties?

For some reason most of it or all of it has vanished. Apart from my
own SuSE t-shirts. Which were always controversial due to the fact
that some developers didn't like them.  Never mind.

--
Richard