[FOSDEM] 20 years of t-shirts - a photo op?

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 16:03:38 CET 2020

Geert

> Are you sure you're not meaning the OTA Linux SIG?
> Seems like they held their 5th anniversary on June 12, 1999 (so they must
> have started in 1995), and some Linux SIG workshops were located at VUB.
>
> Of course there's also the IGUANA Linux Weekend, in 1994, but that was not
> held at VUB, and without RMS (got e.g. Linus and Alan Cox instead ;-)

I remember those. I was involved with the UKUUG at that time. However.
I definitely remember arriving for OSDEM at ULB back in 1995/1996. I
also remember a mention of this in an early version of Linux Format
which started in 1999.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Format

I've had similar problems with the Boston Linux Expo in 2006. Where a
lot of people said such a thing didn't exist but I wrote about it for
Linux User and Developer magazine (now defunct). I still have a copy
of that report. Not the earlier one about OSDEM.  As some background
to what was going on at the time. I was questioned by two Brussels
plain clothes police officers about the goings on around the
1995/96/98 rebuild of the Brussels Metro. There were some strange
things going on. Some police officers thought that the case might be
linked to ULB in some way. Yes. I know that doesn't make sense :)
Then. In 1997 John Prescott became the Deputy Prime Minster in
England. He removed the Eurostar tunnel at St Pancras. At the time he
said that any reference to him removing the Eurostar tunnel would be
buried and any reference to it erased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prescott

So, some unrelated activities and incidents ?  Thing is. I noticed at
that time after being questioned by London and Brussels officers that
some of this had some effect at ULB and in Brussels.  As if something
more than evidence about a St Pancras tunnel had been removed.  Such
as the fact that people weren't remembering what was happening. I
don't know what that might be about but one thing seemed to be related
to another.  I can't be more specific than that.

--
Richard