[FOSDEM] 20 years of t-shirts - a photo op?

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Wed Jan 8 14:22:33 CET 2020

Hi Richard,

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 11:56 AM Richard Ibbotson
<richard.ibbotson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I sill remember the t-shirt. I could wear my original SuSE not
> > > openSUSE t-shirt. But.. don't want to upset the Debian people :) At
> > > about 2000/2001 we were thinking that Fosdem was going to fail. Not
> > > enough people. Looks like we were wrong. Nice to see that the
> > > conference that I started back in 1994 as OSDEM
> >
> > 1994!?  I understood there has been only one OSDEM-event, in 2000 or 2001.  I
> > read at https://archive.fosdem.org/2002/about/1200.html from sept 2001: "The
> > first event was called OSDEM. The next edition will be called FOSDEM" which
> > seems to support that.
>
> No. We started about 1995. I was there the year before. I got it going
> after some people at the university for an "Oopen source conference"
> In a heavy English/Belgian accent. The only way I could pull in a
> crowd in was to ask RMS to join in. Which he did.

/me diggs into local mailing archives...

Are you sure you're not meaning the OTA Linux SIG?
Seems like they held their 5th anniversary on June 12, 1999 (so they must
have started in 1995), and some Linux SIG workshops were located at VUB.

Of course there's also the IGUANA Linux Weekend, in 1994, but that was not
held at VUB, and without RMS (got e.g. Linus and Alan Cox instead ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert (who thought he had attended all (F)OSDEMs ;-)

                                -- Linus Torvalds