[FOSDEM] 20 years of t-shirts - a photo op?

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 11:52:05 CET 2020

Hi

> > No. We started about 1995. I was there the year before. I got it going
> > after some people at the university for an "Oopen source conference"
> > In a heavy English/Belgian accent. The only way I could pull in a
> > crowd in was to ask RMS to join in. Which he did.
>
> So, there was a OSDEM-meeting in Brussels in 1995 where RMS participated?
> Wow...

Definitely was. I was stood there looking at his face in front of me.
I didn't imagine that :) I put him there on that stage in the Janson
theatre...

https://www.out.be/fr/lieux/3353/universite-libre-de-bruxelles-auditoire-p-e-janson/list/

> Still very much interested in some confirmation about these pre-2001
> meetings.

Yes. So am I. Sadly I can say that most of us who helped to start open
source and free software were under pressure from some sort of
government department from several countries. Not the Belgian
Government who wanted to see an open source vent take place. I might
suggest Microsoft ?  Could be wrong.

> I'll be at the Debian booth at K level 1 (group A) btw.

Love the Debian project. Nice to see it is doing well :)

--
Richard