[FOSDEM] Coronavirus

Jasper Nuyens jnuyens at linuxbe.com
Thu Jan 30 23:12:42 CET 2020

Thank you Daniel for your multi-angled and nuanced analysis,

I am very confused by the pro-travel statement by the WHO, I was
expecting something completely different in light of the epidemical
analyses and clinical characteristics.

I agree with your analysis, except from your remark about the
mortality rate. There is no indication (except from hearsay) that this
is anything less than the 9.5% of SARS; on the contrary.
The exact mortality rate is in this stage unclear, but it seems to be
more than 11%: 11% of the early 99 patients died, but only 31% is - as
of today - discharged; 58% still remain in the hospital, so the
casualties amongst this group could still increase the percentage.
These numbers also depends on access to decently equipped Intensive
Care Units (ICU) - which is very problematic with the number of
already confirmed cases: now at 8163 in China, with an additional
12167 identified probable cases; more than 20.000 people. Add to that
that the number of cases have doubled every 2 days till today - and
that they can remain undetected for 10 days. A grim outlook.
https://3g.dxy.cn/newh5/view/pneumonia

About 75% of these people will get a double pneumonia and more than
10% will need mechanical ventilation for survival. Because of these
enormous amount of infected people, the organisational constraints can
make the mortality go up instead of down, some doctors believe it
might become 30%. But it's hard to tell at this stage, there are also
reasons why the mortality can go down (see next).
The most comprehensive clinical study to date can be found here (The
Lancet publishes updated versions regularly):
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30211-7/fulltext

On a positive note, China is experimenting with a lot of different
approved drugs which might be affective against this disease - this
has the potential to reduce the mortality rate and is a sparkle of
hope.
Hopefully, we get lucky and will this lead to an optimised way to deal
with infected people with a lesser need of ICU dependency.
https://innophore.com/2019-ncov/

What would the people in Wuhan say if asked if there should have been
quick and more drastic countermeasures? I believe we are getting in
that situation now (but maybe it will take another week or even two to
get into that situation).

With respect to FOSDEM, we all know how crowded it can be. I do
believe the individual risk of infection this weekend is still very
low. But there needs to be only one person who picked it up, passing
through Brussels Airport or from another international hub.

Personally, I just prefer to be too cautious instead of otherwise,
Jasper
--
Jasper Nuyens
Managing Director, Linux Belgium