[FOSDEM] Leaving a talk

Richardson, Brian brian.richardson at intel.com
Sun Feb 2 16:11:08 CET 2020

I've worked on tech, video, and panel moderating (the equivalent of "heralding") at Dragon Con in the US for many years. We made comedy videos to run between panels as entertainment for the audience and started sneaking in content to educate them about best practices.

This is the original video for how to behave in a panel (equivalent to a keynote or devroom presentation). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r89A-dG8VA

We've made modifications to it over the years:
* removed the flashing screen
* added notes on questions
   - questions only during Q&A (no comments, please)
   - no multi-part questions, please limit to a single question
      (maximizes number of people who can ask a question)

Having a primer like this may be useful, especially if it can be seen by the audience across FOSDEM. I made notes about this to the audience in Janson while working as a herald due to problems we had in Saturday's keynote (hundreds of people got up to leave during Q&A, it was very distracting), but people who come late won't hear that message (we know this will happen a lot, it's a big campus).

I know this would be difficult to do in every devroom due to the size of the event, but maybe some variation would work for FOSDEM.

Best Regards… br
---
Brian Richardson – brian.richardson at intel.com