[FOSDEM] virtual presence "stands" on FOSDEM

Alasdair G Kergon agk at fosdem.org
Sat Dec 5 01:17:19 UTC 2020

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 07:35:07PM +0000, Luke K C Leighton wrote:
> i put forward, kristoff (et al) that it would seem that the logical
> natural answer to your question would be to... well... actually
> *recreate* the entirety of the Brussels University *as* a 3D model

We already publish the current endpoints for the mobile apps to use,
and we'll be adding some new ones to the feed this year (when we
know what they'll be).  The model we're working towards is to
publish a set of endpoints (chatrooms, video streams etc.) that
clients (eg web browser, mobile app) join together.  We have a
team working on this, but if anyone here has the time and skills
to help us, send a message to info at fosdem.org outlining what you might
be able to offer (especially your time during December and January).

So you would "just" need to digest that same feed and wrap a 3D visual
environment around it and offer it to people as one of the alternative
viewing options.  We already have traditional mapping data presented at
nav.fosdem.org which you could use as a starting point for the location.

(We did discuss going 3D like this early on, but ruled out doing it
ourselves this year as it would be too much of a distraction and we need
to focus on the getting the essential elements right first.)

Alasdair