[FOSDEM] virtual presence "stands" on FOSDEM

Richardson, Brian brian.richardson at intel.com
Sat Dec 5 01:56:24 UTC 2020

One model you may consider is mapping the "physical" layout of FOSDEM to the organization of spaces where people would normally attend events and hang out.

Dragon Con, one of the largest sci-fi fan conferences in the US, applied this model to the Discord server used in the 2020 virtual event. Even though the video content was live streamed on three different "channels", Discord was setup to mirror the layout of the five hotels that usually host the event. Each hotel had a "lobby" (general chat area) and a "room" for each track hosted in that hotel (real-time chat with people watching live or pre-recorded events). There was even a "food court" general chat space, which I guess would be food trucks for FOSDEM.

The Discord server opened several weeks prior to the event and included a "scavenger hunt" style process where users had to "register" and unlock parts of the server.

Background: https://www.dragoncon.org/dailydragon/20202/get-connected-virtually-with-discord/

Disclosure: I volunteer for Dragon Con as a moderator and show host, after 12 years of running their video production team (DragonConTV). I did not setup the Discord server but used it a lot for audience interaction during the event.

Best Regards… br
---
Brian Richardson – brian.richardson at intel.com – @intel_brian