[FOSDEM] virtual presence "stands" on FOSDEM

Kristoff kristoff at skypro.be
Sat Dec 5 12:44:58 UTC 2020

Alasdair,

Thanks for taking this up.

Although I surely do not say I talk for all the standholders here, but
from my point of view, I think the best here is the keep-it-simple approach.
I see discussions about chat-forums and 3D spaces, but I do not really
that much additional value in that.

If a stand wants to create content for their virtual stand (a video, an
online chat-session / demo via jitsi/BBB/..., a chat-forum via
<whatever-platform>), that they can do this by themselves using whatever
tools and services that exist out there.

I do not think that we need to things to complicated and I surely do not
want to burden FOSDEM to much for this.

As I see it, our main issue this year is to attract visitors to whatever
online event we organise.

So, this means

- a presence on the FOSDEM website. (either on the site itself, or just
a link to a website on our servers)

A link from one or multiple related devrooms to us would surely also
help, but I guess we can just ask that to the maintainers of devrooms)

- a presence on the FOSDEM-agenda:
"Saturday, from 2 PM to 2:30 PM, demo and Q&A on <some-subject> at
info-stand <whatever>, see link here".

This would allow us to attract both 'targetted' visitors and more
random-people 'walking by', so If this would be possible, this would be
more then sufficient for us.

 From our side.
We will look into preparing a number of videos to put on some
video-platform, and do some presentations and demos on jitsi; but we can
all organise that by ourself so we do not need to bother the FOSDEM
volunteers with that.

Thanks!

Kr. Bonne.