[FOSDEM] Call for Proposals for the Open Source Design devroom
bernard at ei8fdb.org
Tue Dec 8 09:30:21 UTC 2020
FOSDEM <https://fosdem.org> is the Free and Open source Software
Developers’ European Meeting, a free and non-commercial two-day weekend
event that offers *all* open source contributors a place to meet, share
ideas, learn and collaborate.
After 6 successful years we will host another design devroom at FOSDEM
The Open Source Design devroom will take place online over the weekend
of 6th and 7th February 2021.
The *exact times will be confirmed in the coming months*. Due to the
global health situation, FOSDEM will take place completely online.
There will be talks about design work on free, libre and open source
*We invite you to send in your submissions about design work on free,
libre and open source projects.*
We mean ‘design’ in the broadest sense: user research, interface and
interaction design, information architecture, visual design, typography,
illustration, iconography, spatial, accessibility (and anything you can
think of) – all in the context of open source projects, which we believe
introduces unique challenges.
Designers and developers working with designers (or on a design-minded
project) are welcome to submit proposals.
Possible topics include:
* FOSS design tools
* Unique challenges that open source brings
* Design techniques and deliverables
* Design/engineering collaboration approaches
* User engagement and design research activities
* Project case studies
If you’re interested in seeing all previous talks, have a look at the
schedule, and videos for 2019
Talk submission details
Due to FOSDEM 2021 being fully online there are some important changes -
* Talks must be pre-recorded in advance. The talk will then be
streamed during the event.
* Speakers are responsible for recording their talks
* After the talk stream, there will be a live Question & Answer session
* People watching the talk stream will be to chat online, and submit
* The reference time will be Brussels local lime (Central European Time)
For accepted talks
For talks which are accepted:
* All speakers will be assigned a devroom contact to support them and
answer questions before the event
* All speakers will need to record their talk and upload it to
* The deadline for uploading talk videos is expected to be in the
first two weeks of January
* The talk videos will be reviewed to ensure they have the required
* During the stream of the talk, the speaker must be available online
for the Q/A session.
* Final timeslots will be co-ordinated with speakers after all talks
have been finalised
Recording and licensing of talks
By submitting a proposal you consent to be recorded, and agree to
license the content of your talk under a Creative Commons (CC-BY) license.
What and how to submit
23rd December 2020
Notification about accepted talks
We expect to notify people if their talk has been accepted or not by
approximately 31st of December.
How to submit
All submissions are made in the Pentabarf event planning tool at
When submitting your talk in Pentabarf, when asked for the ‘Track’, you
must select the ‘Open source design devroom’.
If you already have a Pentabarf account from a previous year, *please
reuse it*. Create an account if, and only if, you don’t have one from a
Who to contact for help
If you have any issues with Pentabarf, do not despair contact - bernard
+ fosdem at ei8fdb dot org or vic3brown at gmail dot com
Who co-ordinates Open Source Design devroom
The Open Source Design Devroom is co-ordinated by the Open Source Design
Check out the links below to learn more about us:
* Website <https://opensourcedesign.net/>
* Discourse Forum <http://opensourcedesign.net/>
* Github <https://github.com/opensourcedesign>
* FOSDEM 2019 devroom
* FOSDEM 2018 devroom
Examples of past talks:
* Component-based Design System and Development
* UX at Tor <https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/ux_at_tor/>
* Breaking Down Language Barriers
* The real cost of not doing user research
Date & Location
* *Date:* Sat & Sun, 6 & 7 Feb 2021
* *Time:* Exact times yet to be defined
* *Location:* Fully online
The content of all messages is the sole responsibility of the author.
More information about the FOSDEM