[FOSDEM] [FOSDEM Feedback] matrix accounts on fosdem.org ... do they stay?

Kristoff kristoff at skypro.be
Tue Feb 9 09:40:38 UTC 2021

Hi Richard,

On 8/02/2021 1:43 p.m., Richard Hartmann wrote:
> I thought about this a lot. Initially I thought we should keep it, but:
>
> Ongoing maintenance can be automated away. But what about abuse
> reports, etc? From freenode, I know how much time that eats, and it
> never ends. Do we have the people who want to commit to doing that
> work?
>
> A middle ground might be to keep it running for a week, then archive
> it and re-use next year. ...

I am not a lawyer, but I doubt this would be legal.

The GDPR is quite clear about this. If you keep information about
people, you have a number of obligration (like the right of review by
the user, ...) which you must be able to apply.

Archiving information about people without their explicit concent is not
legal.

As I see it, the choice is simple:
- either you maintain a service with all legal requirements that come
with it.
(e.g. you must still be able to intervene if your platform is used for
illegal purposes, e.g. if somebody starts filling it with rascist
comments and the moderator does not intervene).

So this requires continues manpower (euh. womanpower ... euh personpower
:-)  ).

- either you simply delete everything.

Kristoff