[FOSDEM] matrix accounts on fosdem.org ... do they stay?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Feb 9 11:23:11 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021, Kristoff <kristoff at skypro.be> wrote:

> Archiving information about people without their explicit concent is not
legal.

oh fer f****'s sake.

so if anyone running a cloud server takes it temporarily offline (simply
switches off the VM for maintenance purposes) that's ILLEGAL?

what total moron created that law.

err i mean to say, more diplomatically:

there is probably something unintented here or there must be some sort of
provision.

still, if that was an unforseen mistake and there is a decision to switch
off the VM but preserve the disk (not quite the same thing as archive) it
can be "fixed" by sending out notifications, "hey everyone we forgot the
moronic^H^H^H^H^H^H GDPR can you please give your consent otherwise we have
to destroy your account and all conversations"

l.

--
---