[FOSDEM] [FOSDEM Feedback] matrix accounts on fosdem.org ... do they stay?

Kristoff kristoff at skypro.be
Tue Feb 9 10:50:03 UTC 2021

Hi all,

On 9/02/2021 11:06 a.m., Claus R. Wickinghoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just my thoughts (as a long term visitor):
>
> FOSDEM is a conference and all the years before we had only our
> memories, own notes etc. left afterwards.
> (Not to forget the recorded talks not to forget, great achievement!)
>
> This year I saved the relevant discussions (where I was involved and
> what might still be worth looking at as it contains technical stuff,
> not the coffee talk).
> These took place either in a public place (devroom chat) or it was
> personal communication. So it should be safe regarding GPDR.
>
> I'm fine with shutting down the servers soon and delete all data.

Come to think about it, I think there are two different issues here:
- the user at gnuradio.org matrix accounts
- the rooms (including their content)

For the rooms, I stay with my previous mail.

For the accounts, I guess the workload to maintain this part is a lot lower.
But the question is, although this would allow people who now have a
matrix account via FOSDEM to use it to connect to rooms on other matrix
servers, how many people are actually aware of this feature?
And, as they can just as easy get an account on any other matrix server,
... would the investment by the FOSDEM people for this be worth it?

But, as said, this is not for me to descide.

Cheerio! Kr, Bonne.