[FOSDEM] FOSDEM 2022

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Wed Oct 13 19:17:39 UTC 2021

On 13/10/2021 16:05, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 03:32:00PM +0200, Meikel wrote:
>> a) sponsoring: 2,70 euro from 80 to 130 is not much (maybe there are
>> participants willing to pay 2,70 euro additional to the hotel price, I would
>> be willing if it helps)
>>
>> b) testing: maybe spit tests could be effected directly at hotels every
>> morning
>
> With the informality of FOSDEM and people staying in all sorts of hotels
> and accomodation all over the place, I suspect this would be pretty
> complicated.

The biggest issue to consider is that the volunteers have to do all the
work to prepare and buy their travel tickets and if they are unlucky,
either:

a) the whole event is canceled at the last minute due to new
regulations, new variants of covid, etc, or

b) some people don't arrive due to flight cancellations, or they were a
close contact of a covid case or anything else and the volunteers who do
arrive have to do the work for everybody who is blocked from travel

There is actually a huge amount of work that volunteers do before any
event and this uncertainty is an extra burden for them.

If the volunteers are happy to accept those risks it is fine but I don't
think anybody can complain if they simply go with another online FOSDEM

Regards,

Daniel