[FOSDEM] How was the final list of devrooms built?

Konstantin Osipov kostja.osipov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 20:41:39 UTC 2021

* Johan Van de Wauw <johanvdw at fosdem.org> [21/12/06 22:42]:
> > Year over year I am watching the procedure for compiling the final
> > list of devrooms and each year I am surprised.
> >
> > I know each year there are a lot of devroom submissions and a lot
> > of competition. But how is the final list compiled? It would be
> > nice if this process is more open with the community.
> >
> > I can see there is a devroom for Ada and Dart but no devroom for
> > Rust or C++. There is a devroom for MySQL and MariaDB and no
> > devroom for *all* NoSQL systems combined. Are there no free nosql
> > databases?  Were there no devroom submissions for Rust or other
> > emerging programming languages?
> >

> We have not received devroom proposals for any of these topics (C++, Rust,
> NoSQL) this year.
>
> Note that you are more than welcome to submit any talks which are not
> covered by a devroom to the main tracks and or lightning talks.

This doesn't clarify how the selection is made, especially now
when the rooms are virtual, so there's no venue limit and we could
have more rooms.

Wouldn't it make more sense to:

- accept and publish all room submissions,
- encourage room submissions from many, so each room is organized
  by 3-5 submitters, which naturally form the room programme
  committee?
- run a public poll and create a shortlist?

If there is a published procedure serving the same purpose, where
can one read about it? I withstood from submitting a room proposal
because I expected the topics I'm interested in (nosql databases,
distributed systems, rust) to be super popular and submitted many
times over.

Thanks,

--
Konstantin Osipov, Moscow, Russia