[FOSDEM] How was the final list of devrooms built?

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 20:55:47 UTC 2021

On December 6, 2021 8:41:39 PM UTC, Konstantin Osipov <kostja.osipov at gmail.com> wrote:

>If there is a published procedure serving the same purpose, where
>can one read about it? I withstood from submitting a room proposal
>because I expected the topics I'm interested in (nosql databases,
>distributed systems, rust) to be super popular and submitted many
>times over.

turns out, ironically, that if many people assume the same thing, then whoops no room appears :)

i used to think FOSDEM was organised by magic, turns out that ha, all you have to do is fill in a form at the right time and it gets on the website (which is *still* magic to me :) )

next year can i recommend sending a message to this list *early* with something formatted roughly along the lines of:

"hello everyone i love fosdem, it's cool, i'd like to know, is anyone planning a devroom on topic {{X}} if not i will make my own devroom submission does anyone wish to help run it and promote it.  tia"

then you are not left feeling "argh missed opportunity again" like i have kept feeling for several years until i finally realised that yes i am actually empowered to take responsibility for this myself, and, worst that can happen is, i end up being a volunteer helper on someone else's devroom overlapping with and superceding {{X}}, which is great.

turns out fosdem is like the antithesis of the average corporate conference (under "corporate" control), all this infrastructure is there for us to use. and help with.

l.