[FOSDEM] Call for Participation: Energy devroom

Nico Rikken nico at nicorikken.eu
Fri Nov 11 15:17:25 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

As frequent FOSDEM visitors we are happy to announce the realisation of
a long-held dream of hosting an Energy devroom at FOSDEM. By hosting a
dedicated Energy devroom we will foster the diverse collaboration that
is needed to successfully transform our energy systems.

We hope you will take this chance to engage with the community and
share your project, experience or thoughts.

## Call for participation

We want your presentations related to energy systems and energy usage.
Straight up project presentations are welcome but tangible applications
and use-cases are preferred, so are stories & lessons for community
building in the energy industry.

We expect topics like scheduling energy consumption, electric vehicle
charging infrastructure, metering and measuring systems, controlling
microgrids, going off-grid and more. If you are unsure about what
direction to take a topic, please reach out so we can assist you.

Talks should be aimed at a technical audience, but should not assume
that attendees are already familiar with your project or how it solves
a given problem. Talk proposals may cover very specific solutions to a
problem, or may be a higher level project overview for lesser known
projects.

Bound by the space limitations at FOSDEM we'll start the morning
(10:30-14:30) with a virtual online devroom of pre-recorded talks. The
afternoon (15:00-19:00) will be a physical devroom.

Please feel free to suggest a duration between 20 minutes and 55
minutes but note that the final decision on talk durations will be made
by the devroom administrators based on the number of received
proposals. We may decide to give shorter slots so that more speakers
can participate.

As we need both physical talks and virtual pre-recorded talks you can
indicate your preference in your submission. It is appreciated if you
can provide us flexiblity in scheduling by selecting both options.

## Key dates

* 3 December: CfP submission deadline

* 16 December: Announcement of selected talks

* 15 January: Pre-recorded virtual session videos to be delivered

* 4 February: Energy devroom at FOSDEM - if applying for an in-person
session, you must be available onsite to present your talk, if virtual
you must be available for questions.

All deadlines are at 23:59 UTC.

## Submission process

Please submit your proposals at Penta
https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM23 by the 3rd of December
2022, 23:59 UTC. If you already have an account from a previous year,
you should reuse it so all recorded FOSDEM contributions are associated
with your profile.

When submitting your proposal (creating an 'event' in Pentabarf),
select 'Energy devroom' from the track drop-down menu. You can indicate
your preference for physical/virtual/either using the checkboxes at the
bottom of the submission form.

Write the desired duration (between 20 minutes and 55 minutes)
including question into the proposal so we can take that into account
when planning. We may decide to give shorter slots so that more
speakers can participate.

If you will not be present on the campus in Brussels for the whole
event or wish to participate remotely, please also fill out the
Availability tab (under Person) to indicate the hours during which your
presentation can be scheduled taking into account your local time zone.

For virtual talks, use the 'attachment' option to add the video file.

If you run into issues with your submission, please reach out to us so
we can assist you, or contact the program committee at
program at fosdem.org

## Pre-recorded virtual talks

If you get selected for a virtual talk, you are expected to hand in the
video with the correct technical settings so FOSDEM can integrate it in
their system. More information might be provided at a later stage, but
for now the most current information can be found here:
https://github.com/FOSDEM/video/wiki/FOSDEM-2021-video-email-to-speakers

Please make sure you have the technical means to meet those
requirements for the video file. Technical video support by the devroom
managers is only provided to the best of our abilities.

Accepted speakers will need to prepare, record and upload their
presentation during the first two weeks of January. Speakers will need
to be in a place with a computer with a reliable internet connection
and camera and microphone when their talk is scheduled so they can join
a video room and take questions and engage in discussion after their
pre-recorded presentation is played. If you have a virtual talk and
atend FOSDEM yourself we still expect you to find a quiet corner and be
open to questions.

## Requirements

The conference language is English. All content must relate to Free and
Open Source Software. By participating in the event you agree to the
publication of your recordings, slides and other content provided under
the same licence as all FOSDEM content (CC-BY). By participating in
FOSDEM you are required to adhere the Code of Conduct:
https://fosdem.org/2023/practical/conduct/

## Please consider volunteering

Regardless if you submit a talk, please consider volunteering if you
plan on attending the devroom. Every small contribution counts, even
just half an hour, so if you want to help make our devroom a success,
please let us know so we can stay in touch and plan.

## Energy devroom managers

Current Devroom managers are Nicolas Höning, Kai-Uwe Hermann and Nico
Rikken. You can use the dedicated email address to contact us:
energy-devroom-manager at fosdem.org

Hope to see you at the Energy Devroom!

Best,
Nico Rikken