[FOSDEM] Fwd: [CFP] Fast and Streaming Data Devroom

Javier Ramirez javier at formatinternet.com
Tue Nov 15 08:55:45 UTC 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Javier Ramirez <javier at formatinternet.com>
Date: Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 10:19 PM
Subject: [CFP] Fast and Streaming Data Devroom
To: <devroom-managers at lists.fosdem.org>, <
streaming-devroom-manager at fosdem.org>

Hi all,

Web version available at
https://javier.github.io/fast_and_streaming_data_devroom_cfp_fosdem_2023/

Markdown version below.

Thanks,

Javier

==================================

# [FOSDEM 2023] [CFP] Fast and Streaming Data DevRoom

Welcome to the first edition of the Fast and Streaming Data DevRoom at
FOSDEM 2023.  Our DevRoom will be scheduled from 10:30 to 14:30 on Saturday
February 4th. We will be accepting in-person talks only, with recordings
for all the sessions.

***

# About the Fast and Streaming Data DevRoom

10 years ago, working with Fast and Streaming data was very challenging and
mostly limited to using Apache Spark or Apache Storm and the lambda
architecture. Apache Kafka itself was not released until 2011. Since then,
we have seen a huge evolution of the ecosystem, with whole families of
products dedicated to working with fast and/or streaming data: Message
Brokers, Stream  Processing Engines, Analytical Databases, Time-Series
Databases, Real-Time Dashboards, Streaming ML Engines, or Streaming SQL
Engines.

Many of these tools have to face the same challenges: incomplete or out of
order data, deduplication of events, ever-growing datasets, dealing with
updates to already committed data, providing results in near-realtime,
dealing with high availabity and upgrades when data is non-stop...

The devroom is a colocated conference-within-a-conference that gives us the
opportunity to come together and chat, hack, and share stories about Fast
and/or Streaming Data in FLOSS ecosystems.

The Fast and Streaming Data DevRoom is also an opportunity to identify
potential collaborations across projects covering different aspects of the
data lifecycle.

We want our Devroom to be a safe space for everyone, so we kindly ask all
participants to follow the FOSDEM code of conduct
https://fosdem.org/2023/practical/conduct/.

***

# Call For Papers

We welcome submissions about, but not limited to, open source libraries,
open source projects, or technical use cases explaining how one (or more)
open source components are being used to power a real-life use case. Talks
featuring more than one open source fast/streaming data project are
encouraged.

If in doubt, think if the talk you want to submit would be appealing for an
audience interested in fast/streaming data. If the answer is yes, please do
submit.

We are aware some open source projects have also non-open source commercial
offerings. This Devroom is only about the FOSS part of those projects, so
please leave the commercial pitch outside of your proposals and
presentations.

## Diversity, junior developers, and first-time speakers

We actively encourage submissions from speakers from any backround and
level of experience. We also welcome first-time speakers and, if needed, we
will be happy to help you rehearse your talk before the event.

## Format of the talks

We will be accepting submissions for 30 minutes talks, and for 10 minutes
lighthing talks. (If we don't get enough submissions, we might skip
lightning talks)

You choose the format of your talk. It can be shell-driven, slide-driven,
demo-driven, or a combination. If you prefer, you can also present without
any screen at all, specifically for the lightning talks.

If you will be accepting questions, please take into account those should
be included within your allocated time-slot.

Since we will have a mixed audience, all 30 minutes talks will need to
feature an intro to make sure everyone can follow, but you are welcome to
discuss internals of your project or to go as deep as you want into
technical details.

## Recording of all the talks

Please be aware of the fact that, barring any technical difficulties,
Devroom talks at FOSDEM will be recorded. By submitting a proposal you
agree to being recorded and to have your talk made available.

***

# How to submit your talk

If you would like to submit a proposal, you need to do it via the official
FOSDEM website at [
https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/](https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/).
If you already have a Pentabarf account from a previous FOSDEM edition,
please reuse it.

## Important dates

* Deadline: 2022-11-30 by midnight (Brussels Time)
* Announcement of selected talks: 2022-12-15
* Devroom will take place in Brussels, from 10:30 to 14:30 on Saturday
February 4th 2023.

If you already know you want to submit a talk, please don't wait until the
deadline so we can dedicate more time to consider your submission.

## Your profile

Be sure to properly fill your Pentabarf profile (Person) with:
* your name
* a short speaker bio
* your contact information (for the organizers). Please do include both
email and phone as there will be no other reliable form of emergency
communication on the day.

Then follow Penta instructions to submit your talk (Create Event).

## Your talk information

**_When submitting your talk, make sure to select the ‘Fast and Streaming
Data Devroom’ as the 'Track’._**

Use the tabs on top of the Event page to provide all the information you
think it is relevant. At the very least we would need:

* title and subtitle of the presentation
* short abstract
* duration of your talk. It needs to be either 30 minutes or 10 minutes
* if you have them (but no pressure otherwise), use the _Links_ section to
link to other relevant details (other publications, video of previous
talks, ...)
* use the _Submission Notes_ field to send any extra information

***

# Contact

If you need to get in touch with the organisers of this devroom, please
email streaming-devroom-manager at fosdem.org

***

# Acknowledgments

We would like to thank [QuestDB](https://questdb.io) for allowing the
Devroom organisers to manage it during working hours, and for sponsoring
their trips to FOSDEM

This site was created using the [Jekyll Hacker Theme](
https://pages-themes.github.io/hacker/)

***

# About FOSDEM

Official website: https://fosdem.org/

FOSDEM is a free and non-commercial event organised by the community for
the community. The goal is to provide free and open source software
developers and communities a place to meet to:

* get in touch with other developers and projects;
* be informed about the latest developments in the free software world;
* be informed about the latest developments in the open source world;
* attend interesting talks and presentations on various topics by project
leaders and committers;
* to promote the development and benefits of free software and open source
solutions.

Participation and attendance is totally free, though the organisers
gratefully accept donations and sponsorship.

****

# Code of Conduct

The code of conduct for FOSDEM is available at
https://fosdem.org/2023/practical/conduct/

Should you need any assistance during the event you can reach out to the
organiser at the door of the devroom, any FOSDEM staff member, or use the
official FOSDEM contacts

* E-mail: conduct at fosdem.org
* Phone (during the event only): +32 2 788 74 73