[FOSDEM] FOSDEM 2023 - Matrix Devroom, Call for Participation

Thibault Martin thibaultm at element.io
Mon Nov 14 17:51:06 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

This year, the Matrix.org Foundation is excited to host the first ever Matrix.org Foundation and Community devroom in person at FOSDEM. Half a day of talks, demos and workshops around Matrix itself and projects built on top of Matrix.

We encourage people working on the Matrix protocol or building on it in an open source project to submit a proposal! Note that companies are welcome to talk about the Matrix details of their open source projects, but marketing talks are not welcome. This call for participation is only about the physical devroom. A separate CfP will be issued for the online devroom once there are more details about it.

Key dates are:

- Conference dates 4-5 February, 2023 In person
- Matrix Devroom date: Sunday 5 morning in person, online devroom to be announced
- Submission deadline: Monday 5th December
- Announcement of selected talks: Thursday 15th December

You must be available in person to present your talk for the physical devroom.

## Talk Details

The talks can follow one of thee two formats for the physical devroom

* 20 min talk + 10 min Q&A, for topics that can be covered briefly
* 50 min talk + 10 min Q&A for more complex subjects which need more focus

We strongly encourage you to prepare a demo when it makes sense, so people can actually see what your work looks like in practice!

Of course, the proposal must respect the FOSDEM terms as well:

> The conference language is English. All content must relate to Free and Open Source Software. By participating in the event you agree to the publication of your recordings, slides and other content provided under the same licence as all FOSDEM content (CC-BY).

## Submitting a Proposal

Proposals must be submitted on FOSDEM's conference management system Pentabarf <https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM23> before December 5 2022. If you are not used to Pentabarf, you can follow this beginners guide to Pentabarf <https://eyskens.me/beginners-guide-to-pentabarf/>.

We expect to receive more requests than we have slots available. The devroom organisers will be reviewing the proposals and accepting them based on the potential positive impact the project has on Matrix (as defined in by the Mission section of https://matrix.org/foundation <https://matrix.org/foundation>).

If a project proposal has been turned down, it doesn't mean we don't believe it has good potential. Maintainers are invited to join the #twim:matrix.org <https://matrix.to/#/%23twim:matrix.org> Matrix room to give it some visibility.

Best,