[FOSDEM] Call for Proposals: Designing Futures of FOSS Content Management

Mathias Bolt Lesniak mathias.bolt.lesniak at typo3.org
Mon Nov 13 20:50:54 UTC 2023

# Call for Proposals: Designing Futures of FOSS Content Management at FOSDEM

## Discuss, learn, and work on issues that affect FOSS CMS projects, from policy to development, security, and beyond.

Drupal, Joomla, TYPO3, and WordPress are thrilled to announce the call for proposals for our first combined Dev Room track at FOSDEM 2024: https://fosdem.org/2024/

* **What?** FOSDEM is a free annual event where open source developers can connect, share knowledge, network, and build community.
* **Where?** Brussels, Belgium, at the ULB Solbosch Campus.
* **When?** FOSDEM will be held on February 3rd and 4th, 2024. Our dev room is scheduled for Sunday, the 4th of February.
* **Who?** You, of course! Submit your proposal here by December 1st. Make sure you select the correct track!
* **Why?** We’re so glad you asked. Read on…

In 2023, leadership from the top four open source CMS projects (Drupal, Joomla, TYPO3, and WordPress) collaborated for the first time on an open letter, webinar, and other efforts regarding the upcoming Cyber Resilience Act. We recognized that we are stronger together and want to promote the idea of FOSS First, as our projects have more in common than we do differences.

Choosing FOSS should be any customer’s first choice, a choice based on the unique FOSS-derived benefits. Choosing the platform comes second to that. Expertise and ability to solve a customer’s problem is where the real competition happens.

Though our CMS projects solve problems differently, the challenges we see ahead are the same. Working with FOSS should mean working together, making sure FOSS CMSs together make FOSS the obvious choice. That means caring for community, contribution, and code beyond our own.

The room will be hosted by Jeffrey A. "jam" McGuire, an experienced event host and long-time friend of and contributor to multiple FOSS CMS communities.

Other FOSS CMS projects are welcome, and encouraged to attend and submit proposals.

## Important Dates

* CFP opens: November 12, 2023
* CFP closes: December 1, 2023
* Schedule announced: December 10, 2023 (approximately)
* FOSDEM: 3–4 February 2024
* Dev room track date: 4 February 2024

## What We’re Looking For

We would love to see topic proposals that cross CMS project boundaries. This could be specific examples of past projects, ideas for future collaboration, a discussion or panel about challenges that span website content management projects or products, and beyond.

This is the first year for this devroom topic, so feel free to get creative with your ideas.

## How to Submit a Proposal

1. Go to https://pretalx.fosdem.org/fosdem-2024/cfp
2. Select “Designing Futures of FOSS Content Management with the Open Website Alliance” from the Track menu.
3. Fill in the rest of the form.

## How will proposals be evaluated?

Proposals will be evaluated according to these criteria. You don’t have to fulfill all of them to be selected.

* Real or potential relevance to multiple FOSS CMS projects
* Past, present, or future impact on FOSS CMS collaboration
* Degree of community involvement
* Applicability of approach or best-practices presented
* Novelty of the idea or concept presented
* Quality of submission and presenter’s experience

We will attempt to have a fair distribution of talks across all FOSS CMSs represented — from the four named above, as well as any others that submit proposals.

Best wishes on behalf of the organizers,

Mathias Bolt Lesniak
Member of the Board, TYPO3 Association, typo3.org/association <https://typo3.org/association>
TYPO3 Association, Gewerbestr. 10, CH-4450 Sissach, Switzerland