[FOSDEM] Call for Participation in the "Modern Email" Developer Room at FOSDEM '24!

Mechiel Lukkien mechiel at ueber.net
Sun Nov 12 20:27:34 UTC 2023

Hi all!

(For the latest info: https://github.com/modern-email/FOSDEM-24)

Email is the workhorse of digital communication. It's one of the oldest
decentralized messaging platforms, and we must keep implementations up to date
with new standards/techniques/programming languages.

The "**Modern Email**" developer room is new at FOSDEM and seeks speakers,
volunteers, and participants! We want to get together as email
developers/users, learn about each other's projects, have technical
discussions, exchange implementation/operational experience, and share plans
and visions for the future of email.

The Devroom will be **held on Sunday, February 4** in the afternoon, with
primarily talks on the schedule. The **submission deadline for talks is
December 1st, 2023**. We will also informally meet with email developers on
Saturday (that could be you; join us!)

* **Speaker**: As a speaker, you're invited to present your work in the developer room.
* **Volunteer**: As a volunteer, you would be helping us out during the sessions.
* **Participant**: As a participant, whether introverted or extroverted, you
  are excellent to everyone and make the day!

**Please distribute this CfP as widely as possible to interested parties!**

## Topics

Some suggestions for talks:

* Overview of the current state of email (as a keynote).
* Your free/open source software project(s) related to email. From demo to details.
* Current developments, upcoming standards, e.g. [JMAP](https://jmap.io),
  structured data, ...
* Efforts to modernize our email ecosystem, e.g., through implementations in
  modern languages.
* Integrating email with other software, e.g., through APIs.
* Message/transport security/authenticity.
* Experiences with deliverability, email operations, anti-spam, hosting, ...
* Related technologies such as calendaring/PIM.
* Visionary talks
    * Where should email be in 10 years?
    * Can we add end-to-end encryption (to the masses) through, e.g., MLS?
    * Can we provide simple solutions for on-prem (private) hosting?
* ...

## Submission

We ask for a short talk abstract (+ proposed duration) and a speaker biography
(+ contact info). Any material that shows your affinity to the field is also
appreciated, e.g., a collection of links to your work, talks, projects, blog
posts, etc.

Submissions **must** be made through Pretalx
(https://pretalx.fosdem.org/fosdem-2024/cfp) no later than December 1st.

The suggested duration for a talk is **25 minutes** (20 minutes presentation +
5 minutes Q&A). However, we *explicitly* invite you to propose the best
duration for your talk. If the best way to present your project is a **5-minute
lightning talk**, we'll happily arrange a lightning session!

Depending on the proposals, we may contact you to adapt the time of the session
to fit the devroom schedule.

**Important**: Choose "**Modern Email**" in the track drop-down menu when
submitting your proposal. Otherwise, your proposal might go unnoticed!

Once the devroom schedule is finalized, we will contact you to help you prepare
your talk.

## Recordings

Talks and Q&A sessions at FOSDEM will be recorded. The recordings will be
published under the same license as all FOSDEM content (CC-BY). By agreeing to
present at FOSDEM, you automatically give permission to be recorded. The
organizers will agree to make exceptions only for exceptional and well-reasoned
cases.

## Important dates

* December 1st, 2023: Deadline for submission of proposals
* December 15th, 2023: Announcement of final schedule
* February 3rd, 2024: FOSDEM Day 1
* February 4th, 2024: FOSDEM Day 2 - "Modern Email" DevRoom day!

## Contact

For the latest details, see: https://github.com/modern-email/FOSDEM-24
Join the matrix room: https://matrix.to/#/#modern-email-fosdem-24-cfp:matrix.org
Contact the organizers:
* Benoit Tellier, btellier at linagora.com
* Damian Poddebniak, poddebniak at mailbox.org
* Hans-Jörg Happel, happel at audriga.com
* Mechiel Lukkien, mechiel at ueber.net

We are looking forward to a great day at FOSDEM with you!