DevRoom Proposal: Packed Objects, Object Layout & Value Types - a Survey

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 18:11:00 CET 2014

Title: Packed Objects, Object Layout & Value Types - a Survey

Abstract:

Java is often criticized for its lack of supporting C-style
structs. This makes it hard to efficiently implement certain type of
data structures (like for example arrays of small objects) in Java.

However, recently there have been several different approaches which
try to address this problem. My talk will briefly introduce "Packed
Objects" [1], an extension available in IBM's Java SDK 8, "Object
Layout" [2], a layout-optimized Java data structure package proposed
by Azul Systems and Value Types [3][4], an OpenJDK proposal for
immutable, reference-free value objects.

I will describe the commonalities and differences of the three
approaches and explain how they can improve the memory overhead and
locality of Java objects.

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/jvmls2013sciam-2013525.pdf
[2] http://objectlayout.org/
[3] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/169
[4] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jrose/values/values-0.html

Bio:

Volker Simonis works for SAP in the SAP JVM Technology group. He
is an OpenJDK contributor from the very beginning and helped SAP and
the SAP JVM team engage in the OpenJDK project. He's the project lead
of the OpenJDK PowerPC/AIX porting project, a JDK8 committer and JDK9
reviewer.

Recording me on audio and/or video is acceptable

I'd like to get a 45min slot if possible.

Thank you and best regards,
Volker