Dev Room Proposal: Java Caching and auto tuning your heap and cache sizes - A first humble shot at it

Jens Wilke jw_list at headissue.com
Tue Dec 15 20:20:56 CET 2015

Title:
Java Caching and auto tuning your heap and cache sizes - A first humble shot at it

This talk presents some thoughts on how to improve Java enterprise
applications memory efficiency, either to achieve higher densities in
cloud computing environments or scale up heap memory sufficiently in
high demand phases. The basic idea is to establish feedback loops
from the garbage collector to the caching layer and, ideally, adapt
dynamically tuning parameters to achieve the most efficient operation.

I will present a summary of my ideas and findings on this topic and some
experiments with the caching library cache2k on real world applications.

There will be also some (little) time left for discussion, since I'd like
to engage the Java VM community, to explore what VM or GC features
can also be exploited or maybe come up with some new ideas to
support the caching middleware.

Recording me on audio and/or video:
acceptable under a CC-BY-2.0 license

Speaker Bio:

Jens Wilke is a coding veteran and part-time entrepreneur in a boutique software engineering company in Munich.
In ancient times Jens worked on many different projects, from embedded systems up to software for the IBM mainframe, in startups and in "legacy" companies. He is enthusiastic about improving performance, within developer teams as well as in complex software systems.

For the last two years he dedicates every spare time to research and help out in the area of Java Caching. He has crafted  a Java caching library with unique and innovative features, answers regularly caching related questions on Stack Overflow and contributes to the Java caching standard JSR107.

Links:
http://cache2k.org
http://cruftex.net

Time slot:
I'd like to apply for a 45 minute time slot to set aside 10-15 minutes for discussion.

--
"Everything superfluous is wrong!"

   // Jens Wilke - headissue GmbH - Germany
 \//  https://headissue.com