Talk proposal: Class Data Sharing - Sharing Economy in the HotSpot VM

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 16:30:22 CET 2017

Title:

Class Data Sharing - Sharing Economy in the HotSpot VM

Abstract:

Class Data Sharing (CDS) is a feature that was introduced in Java 5 to
improve startup performance and reduce the memory footprint of the JVM
by sharing the metadata of system classes between virtual machines
running on the same host. During the last years, this feature has been
constantly improved. In OpenJDK 10 CDS will be extended by AppCDS
which additionally allows the sharing of application classes between
VM instances (see JEP 310: Application Class-Data Sharing [1]).

In this talk I will briefly introduce CDS and AppCDS. After
demonstrating its various use cases, I will do a short deep-dive into
the implementation details and challenges. Finally I will briefly
describe how Strings and Symbols can be stored in the CDS archive and
shared across VM as well since OpenJDK 9.

After the talk, the audience should have a better understand of the
CDS/AppCDS feature and be able to decide whether it makes sense to use
it for their own applications.

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/310

Recording me on video and/or audio under CC-BY-2.0 license is OK.

Bio:

Volker Simonis works in SAP JVM Technology group. He is an OpenJDK
contributor from the very beginning and helped SAP to engage in the
OpenJDK project. He's the project lead of the OpenJDK PowerPC/AIX and
s390x porting projects, a JDK reviewer and JCP Executive Committee
representative for SAP. He's also a member of the JCP JSR 379 (Java SE
9) and JSR 383 (Java SE 10) Expert Groups.