Talk Proposal: srcdeps: Don't let dependencies dictate your life!

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 14:30:03 CET 2018

Hi *, my submission:

= srcdeps: Don't let dependencies dictate your life!

== Abstract

Your dependency does not merge or release your fix fast enough? Or you
want a reliable continuous integration with your framework/platform?
Then stop waiting for releases and start using source dependencies with
Maven & Gradle!

srcdeps brings the concept of source dependencies as known in Ruby’s
blunder or Scala’s sbt to the field of Java and its build tools. With
srcdeps, a Maven or a Gradle project can define its dependencies in
terms of specific source commits that are built by srcdeps "on the fly"
when they are requested.

We will explain how this can save time in testing and integration or how
it allows to fix third-party code. In a short live demo, we will show
how to switch from a released dependency to a source dependency in a
Maven project.

== Note for the organizers

This is a shortened version of a talk I already presented on a few
conferences. Here are the slides of the full version:
http://ppalaga.github.io/presentations/181011-jcon-duesseldorf/index.html#/

== Recording

Yes, I accept recording me on audio and/or video under a CC-BY-2.0 license

== Bio

Senior engineer for JBoss Fuse at Red Hat. Earlier worked on JBoss EAP,
Hawkular and other Red Hat Middleware projects. The author of srcdeps
and contributor to several Maven and Gradle plugins.

== URLs

https://twitter.com/ppalaga
http://ppalaga.github.io