Free Java Advanced Imaging

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at geocat.net
Mon Dec 2 11:32:49 CET 2019

I just noticed this dev room when following up on the geospatial dev room
extended deadline. This group would be AMAZING to share some exciting work
I have been doing on my own time (after failing to attract funding for
years...)

So yeah, because this is a perfect fit for this group, and because I really
want to see this rescue effort succeed please consider the following talk
for any waitlist.
--
Jody Garnett

*Title:* ImageN and the quest to free Java Advanced Imaging
*Abstract: *

The Java Advanced Imaging is a powerful Java image processing engine
powering a wide range of applications including the mapping applications
(GeoServer, GeoTools, GeoNetwork) I work with day to day.

This talk explores:

   - Core capabilities that make JAI attractive
   - Success of JAI architecture for geospatial work
   - Working with the Eclipse Foundation and Oracle to “Free” the JAI
   project
   - The Eclipse ImageN library

One of the reasons our community has been so addicted to this library is
its power. It explored concepts like parallel processing, and distributed
parallel processing in 1999, well ahead of the curve. It is an excellent
example of engineering and software design.

Tragically there has been one problem with this ... the JAI library is not
open source! The library originated at Sun Microsystem as a core component
of the Java Runtime Environment, but was not included as part of OpenJDK
collaboration.

We will cover the search for an open source alternative, and the exciting
progress made thus far. Come see how this foundational library is being
propelled into an open source future by our community.

I really hope to attract passionate Java developers who understand the
importance of making this neglected part of the JRE free for our developer
community.

*Recording me on audio and/or video*
CC-BY-2.0 license is fine
(Prefer CC BY ATTRIBUTION if available).

*Brief Bio: *Open source geospatial contributor with
Open Source Geospatial Foundation and Eclipse Foundation LocationTech
working group. Projects include GeoTools, GeoServer, JTS Topology Suite,
ImageN and uDig.
*Microblog URL: *http://twitter.com/jodygarnett
*Blog URL: *https://www.how2map.com