Talk proposal for Java Developer Room at FOSDEM 2020

Nikola Grcevski Nikola.Grcevski at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 19 20:07:41 CET 2019

Hi there, I'd like to submit the following talk proposal for the Java Developer Room:

Title:
Reducing OpenJDK Java Garbage Collection times with stack allocation

Abstract:
In this talk we'll explore ways that the JVM can reduce the object allocation rate of Java programs automatically by performing stack allocation of objects that are known to be local to a method, or in compiler terms non-escaping. The discussion is focused on employing the escape analysis optimization in the OpenJDK Hotspot C2 compiler to determine which Java objects can be stack allocated, and how this optimization can reduce pressure on the Java JVM garbage collectors.

We'll show some results on how various real world applications can benefit from such optimizations and describe the methodology of how we prototyped this in OpenJDK. Our work is only in prototype state at this moment and we are looking for more data to understand how broadly applicable this optimizations is. This work wouldn't be possible without free open source access to Java.

Recording me on audio and/or video:
1. Acceptable under CC-BY-2.0 license

Brief Bio:
I started coding when I was 9 on the now legendary ZX Spectrum (hello Black Mirror - Bandersnatch), but got really seriously into it with C and assembly on early x86 Intel processors. I have been working on JVM (JIT compilation and GC) technologies on and off for almost 20 years. I did most of my VM work on OpenJ9 Testarossa JIT compiler and at the moment I'm VM engineer at Microsoft working on OpenJDK. I live in Toronto, Canada with my wife, 2 kids and a cat and like most Canadians I'm true indoor enthusiast.

Microblog URL:
https://twitter.com/vivaboredom

Blog URL:
I'm not much of a blog writer (yet!), so here's my github profile instead: https://github.com/grcevski