Talk Proposal: How I learned to love my Dragon: The adventures of transpiling Java bytecode to native code for the CrossMobile platform

Panayotis Katsaloulis panayotis at panayotis.com
Tue Nov 19 23:14:25 CET 2019

* Title

How I learned to love my Dragon: The adventures of transpiling Java bytecode to native code for the CrossMobile platform

* Abstract

Using Java as a high level language and converting to low native code is not an easy task. You have to fight with mismatching issues like GC and memory management, different APIs, hardware access, and a common simple high-level interface. On top of this, CrossMobile is a tool that addresses iOS, Android, and Desktop Java at once, which leads to issues such as different UI experience, synchronous vs asynchronous methods, C-styled varargs, i18n, complex constructs like web views and maps, and the list goes on.

This talk will cover how these problems were solved and the experience gained through the procedure, what mistakes to avoid and how a high-level language like Free Java was a good strategic decision to accomplish this task. As a closing remark will be where to go from now and the possibility to support any JVM based language such as Clojure or Kotlin, while keeping the developers happy and platform-agnostic.

* Recording me on audio and/or video
acceptable under a CC-BY-2.0 license

* Brief Bio

Dr. Panayotis Katsaloulis is one of the first and awarded Android and iOS developers, long-term Swing user, and an Open Source evangelist. He was the vice president of Greek LUG for many years and helped the Open Source and Java ecosystem in Greece to grow. Right now he is the CEO of CrossMobile tech and the core developer of the CrossMobile platform, which recently has been open sourced.

* URLs

https://github.com/crossmob/CrossMobile
https://crossmobile.tech/
http://panayotis.com/