Talk proposal - OpenArk Compiler: Generating binaries from Java source

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer bero at lindev.ch
Thu Nov 21 02:36:34 CET 2019

Title: OpenArk Compiler: Generating binaries from Java source

Abstract (at least two paragraphs):
Huawei has recently announced a new compiler that compiles Java source code to native machine code:
https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-ark-compiler-android-app-performance/
We've taken a look at what's there already and where it's headed.

This talk will be about what's there already, what's still needed, and various ways in which this can be useful for Free Java projects.

If possible describe why Free Java is helpful or perhaps even essential to your project:
The project is a Free Java compiler - it provides a new way to run Free Java applications and couldn't exist without all the other Free Java components.

What the audience will learn from the talk:
What OpenArk can do, how to use it, and where it's headed.

How can people help out with the project, what feedback are you looking for?
There's a number of things that can be done to improve the compiler, including but not limited to helping add support for different target platforms (current main target is Android on aarch64). Also, more testing is needed.
Could use feedback on what other features the Free Java community would like to see in the compiler.

Recording me on audio and/or video:
acceptable under a CC-BY-2.0 license (DEFAULT)

Brief Bio:
Bernhard "Bero" Rosenkränzer is one of the main developers of OpenMandriva, and the current president of the OpenMandriva Association.

He currently runs a development and consultancy company called LinDev.
Previous work places include Linaro, Red Hat, MandrakeSoft and lesser known startups.

He has committed code all over the Linux stack, ranging from the kernel to the KDE Plasma desktop and Android.

He has spoken at many Linux/Open Source conferences, including Linux Plumbers Conference, Embedded Linux Conference, Open Source Summit, Android Builders Summit, LinuxTag and Linux Piter.

Microblog URL:
Blog URL:
I don't currently have my own (Micro)blogs, but occasionally write guest posts on other people's.