FOSDEM 2021 and Java DevRoom

Mario Torre neugens.limasoftware at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 16:34:00 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I hope this email finds you well.

As you probably know, the next edition of FOSDEM will be a fully
online conference and the CFP is now open for the DevRoom to register
and will close in just a couple of days.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I don't think the format
suits us well. One of the most important aspects of the Java DevRoom
is the face to face meetings and discussions that happen in the
corridors and during the dinner, the content has a rather fair share
of significance (otherwise we wouldn't do it!) of course, but the
human contact the value of our DevRoom in particular (in a context as
fantastic as FOSDEM) is what has made Java progress over the years,
tied relationships and created new sources of discussion.

There's of course also the aspect of helping the conference deliver
great content, after all we have been part of FOSDEM for years, it
wasn't just a place where to go for our own stuff detached from the
rest, and for that I am grateful to the organisers.

For this reason, rather than unilaterally decide about this and in the
spirit of Open Source I would like some comments.

For full transparency, I do think we should pass this round.

Cheers,
Mario

--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Java Champion - Blog: http://neugens.wordpress.com - Twitter: @neugens
Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards: