[Microkernel-devroom] Devrooms for 2012

Jakub Jermar jakub at jermar.eu
Mon Nov 14 16:31:08 CET 2011

On 14.11.2011 15:16, Norman Feske wrote:
> Has anyone of you have been to previous editions of FOSDEM and
> participated in a dev room? If yes, what are your experiences? Which
> kind of preparations would be worthwhile to take?

This will be my first FOSDEM experience. I still need to figure out the
inner workings of FOSDEM, so bear with me please.

>From what is happening around, it looks like the devrooms are expected
to send out their call for participation in some form. As of this
writing, only one devroom has already done so via the fosdem mailing
list. I feel like I am still missing some pieces of information or at
least some guidance from the FOSDEM organizers about the exact where's
and when's of our devroom.

We already have representatives of all projects (i.e. MINIX 3, GNU Hurd,
Genode and HelenOS) on this mailing list so we can at least start
talking about how we would like to structure the devroom.

My idea was quite simple (but I'd definitely like to hear from other
people about their own ideas). I'd like to partition the devroom time
into approximately the following segments (that themselves need to be
further worked on and prepared):

- short technical overview of each project so that the others who are
not so familiar with it can quickly get the taste for the project in
question (no marketing please :-)

- technical talks / demo's prepared by members of individual projects
(subject to devroom acceptqance?); this should be something rather
technical, related to interesting features or problems of the respective
projects

- panel discussion about interesting topics of the day; the projects can
put together their specific list (one or two items each) of what's hot
in their world and bring it to the panel discussion (ideally preceded by
some form of introduction if needed)

- not sure if there will be any public, but if there is, we can have
Q&A's session with the public

- coding session; the developers prepare something small enough which
can be put together in the timeframe of a couple hours; before the
coding session starts, everyone has a chance to briefly say what he
would like to do; would be interesting to see other projects at work and
also meet and work with people from own project who we know only from
over e-mail

Ok, I will leave it there for now as this e-mail is getting too long.
Looking forward to hearing what others think of this.

Jakub