[Microkernel-devroom] Devrooms for 2012

Martin Decky martin at decky.cz
Mon Nov 14 19:18:19 CET 2011

> - panel discussion about interesting topics of the day; the projects can
> put together their specific list (one or two items each) of what's hot
> in their world and bring it to the panel discussion (ideally preceded by
> some form of introduction if needed)
>
> - not sure if there will be any public, but if there is, we can have
> Q&A's session with the public

The presence of public really matters a lot here. If we do it without
the public, we can probably focus on our technical topics in a great
detail, but then again, what's the point of going to Brussels?

On the other hand, with the public we would probably also have to talk
about the differences between the monolithic (and currently dominating)
OSes and microkernels. Possibly in a more abstract and not-so-technical
way. But in the long run, explaining the general motivations behind our
development efforts and our shared goals in public might be even more
important than comparing our specifics.

Even the coding session can be split into two halves: A hard-core
hackaton for us and more introductory "classes" for the public which
would demonstrate that you don't have to be a guru to understand an OS
(if it is well written, that is :-)).

M.D.