[Microkernel-devroom] FOSDEM'13

Sartakov A. Vasily sartakov at ksyslabs.org
Tue Dec 4 11:30:25 CET 2012

Hello.
I would like to discuss  my ideas for FOSDEM'13 uKernel devroom with you.
We are a small Russian RnD company, and we try to apply uKernel based
research in our Secure Devices.
The main idea of my presentation - our experience in uKernel applying.
That will be retrospective view on previous year.

This is brief structure of my presentation:
   * Small Info. ksys labs - We are a small Russian RnD company and we
use  uKernel in our products.
   * our first uKernel implementation - long story of small project -
our trusted screen based on OMAP3:
            L4Linux, looks good but absolutely unusable (Problem with
device support)
            our L4Linux with omap3 OTG support
            L4Linux + L4re + Dope (ugly look and hard to make GUI)
            L4Linux  + L4re + qt (failed port)
            L4Linux  + L4Re + Disko GUI (prototype with rich functional)
            Omap4 + Genode + QT
   * Other problems:
            Small number of developers, small community, etc.
            1-2 times per year  Fiasco.OC is released
            Huge time gap between publications and real application of
the results
            Systems Summer School'12 - our new experience
   * Our contribution:
            Our L4Linux fork
            L4Re software (openssl, Disko GUI, drivers, etc)
            Our small Genode contribution
   * Next year
            hardened Fiasco.OC
            ppc'32 based network platform

I'm interested in show room (demo slot) with real devices, but i'm not
sure that we will have nice looking prototypes at the time of FOSDEM.
We have imx53 board with Genode and several different omap3 based
sticks. I will try to find something interesting for examples.

 * title of your talk (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)

Microkernels and You - long path of the small project.

 * your full name (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)

Sartakov A. Vasily

 * a short abstract

ksys labs - small enterprise involved in research and development in
area of Information security. Experimental microkernel is a good base
for secure devices, but it is hard to use. Our experience in applying,
development, our ideas and wishes are main subjects of the
presentation.

 * duration of your talk (please, no longer than 45 minutes)

20-25 minutes.

--
Sartakov A. Vasily