[Microkernel-devroom] TUD:OS talk proposal

Björn Döbel doebel at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Dec 5 08:29:21 CET 2012

Hi all,

I'd like to propose a talk for the microkernel devroom at FOSDEM.

> title of your talk (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)

Romain: OS Support for Replicating Binary Applications

> your full name (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)

Björn Döbel

> a short abstract

Operating systems research in fault tolerance has mainly focussed on
dealing with faulty software, while resilience against transient
hardware errors has been dealt with mostly by applying compiler
techniques or using RAD-hardened hardware components.

L4Re's Romain replication framework allows to replicate binary user
applications on top of the Fiasco.OC microkernel. Replicas are run
independently without modifications and are validated whenever they
perform externalization events, such as system calls.

In the talk I'm going to introduce Romain's architecture and discuss
issues we had to deal with regarding replication of multithreaded
applications in a  capability-based system.

> duration of your talk (please, no longer than 45 minutes)

30-40 min