[Microkernel-devroom] Talk-proposal: The microkernel OS Escape

Nils Asmussen nils at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Dec 11 14:30:53 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

I would like to give the following talk:

Title: The microkernel OS Escape
My name: Nils Asmussen
Length: 30-40 min.
Abstract:

Escape is a UNIX-like microkernel operating system which I'm developing
since october 2008 as a hobby. It runs on x86 and the two rather exotic
architectures ECO32 and MMIX. It supports multitasking, multithreading
and SMP and has a quite advanced memory management. The userspace
consists of drivers (ATA/ATAPI, ext2- and iso9660 filesystem, PCI, VGA,
VESA and a few others), libraries (libc, libcpp), simple versions of the
well known UNIX tools (ls, ps, cat, head, less, ...) and a small GUI.

In the talk I'll give an overview about Escape and explain the most
important concepts. Especially, I'll present the virtual file system
that the kernel provides and that is among others used for getting
access to drivers.

Best regards,
Nils