[Microkernel-devroom] [TALK-PROPOSAL] Graphics Stack for HelenOS

Petr Koupý petr.koupy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:28:41 CET 2012

Hello,

here is the proposal of my talk. I am not entirely convinced that it fits
the microkernel devroom topic list, but let's give it a try.

[Title]
Graphics Stack for HelenOS

[Full Name]
Petr Koupý

[Short Bio]
Petr is a computer science student with interest in operating systems and
parallelization. He is more or less involved with several open-source
projects, namely Molpher, gerbil.sf.net and HelenOS. For HelenOS, he ported
GNU binutils during GSOC'11 and implemented graphics stack to serve as a
topic of his diploma thesis.

[Abstract]
HelenOS was recently equipped with a brand new graphics stack consisting only
from in-house developed components among which you can find compositor, drawing
library and widget toolkit. While limited in implementation scale, stack
components contain enough functionality for live demos and to be practically
usable by HelenOS developer community on a daily basis. The talk will mostly
focus on various design and implementation decisions influenced by microkernel
nature of HelenOS and by current trends in graphics stack design found across
both hobbyist and production-grade operating systems.

[Estimated duration]
30 minutes + discussion