[Microkernel-devroom] Accepted talks and schedule of our devroom at FOSDEM 2012

Jakub Jermar jakub at jermar.eu
Tue Jan 10 11:19:48 CET 2012

Hi Martin,

On 9.1.2012 15:22, Martin Decky wrote:
> I would also not completely rule out Norman's idea of the demo corner,
> although I completely acknowledge Jakub's objections that a devroom
> should not be an exhibition with stands. But if the configuration of the
> room permits that, setting up a table with some machines running our
> OSes for the public to freely play with (silently) and perhaps
> stickers/CDs/leaflets to take away might not hurt. We will see in Brussels.

Hopefully no-one will walk away with the demo equipment :-)

>> Note that the last item on the agenda is a panel discussion where we can
>> discuss various topics among the projects.
>
> As we probably won't have any impartial moderator for the panel (someone
> not affiliated with any of our projects), I suggest to make the panel

The moderator need not be impartial per se, he/she only needs to know
the difference between a moderator and a panelist.

> I suggest the following initial questions to be answered by each project:

Whether a panel discussion or a more free-style discussion without a
moderator, I also thought of some initial set of questions/topics. More
questions/topics could be added by participants and also the general
public during the day to some box which will then be opened during the
discussion session. Lastly, the public should be allowed to have live
questions from time to time during the debate.

> * Intro: What is your project about and what are your goals?

At the end of the schedule, this will be rather restating what was
already told during the introductory talks at the beginning of the
schedule. Of course, if some projects don't have an introductory talk,
this may be their chance.

> * What approaches and tools do you use in your project? (Note that
>   FOSDEM is an open-source conference.)
> * How do you cooperate with the "mainstream"? (Standards,
>   compatibility, etc.)
> * Evergreen: How do you tackle the problem of device drivers?
> * What interesting topics/projects/challenges can you offer to potential
>   contributors?

Pretty good topics, I believe.

Jakub