Microkernel Devroom 2021 working schedule

Martin Decky martin at decky.cz
Sat Jan 2 14:31:55 UTC 2021

Dear all,

please see below the current working schedule of the Microkernel Devroom
at FOSDEM 2021 (this email also serves as the official confirmation of
the acceptance of your talk, in case you did not check Pentabarf
yourself already).

Begin | End   | Speaker           | Title
------+-------+-------------------+--------------------------------------
10:00 | 10:10 | Martin Decky      | Welcome and Introductioon
10:10 | 11:10 | Gernot Heiser     | The seL4 Report
11:10 | 11:55 | Gernot Heiser     | The seL4 Foundation
11:55 | 13:05 | Renzo Davoli      | libioth
13:05 | 13:45 | Norman Feske      | Pluggable Device Drivers for Genode
13:45 | 14:25 | Anastassios Nanos | Hardware Acceleration for Unikernels
14:25 | 15:05 | Simon Kuenzer     | Is the Time Ripe for Unikernels ...
15:05 | 16:05 | Martin Decky      | State of Microkernels in 2021

If you see any issue or a scheduling conflict on your side, please do
not hesitate to approach me. I am certainly also open to any other
comments and suggestions. I will consider the schedule confirmed and
fixed by the end of Sunday, January 10th 2021.

A few remarks:

(1)
The time values in the schedule are in UTC+1 and _include_ a Q&A part of
10 minutes for each talk. The semantics of the "Duration" entry in
Pentabarf has been changed by the FOSDEM organizers to reflect this as
well (while the length of the pre-recorded presentation itself has a
dedicated entry now and it will be ultimately derived from the exact
length of the video recording).

The latest info about the organization of the devroom from the FOSDEM
organizers could be summarized as follows: The pre-recorded videos will
automatically start streaming at the given time according to the
schedule and after each talk finishes streaming, the live stream for the
Q&A will start. Further discussions could be performed in parallel with
the talk (and other talks) via Matrix/IRC and in a dedicated "hallway"
stream for each devroom.

(2)
The initial instructions for the pre-recording of the talks can be found
at [1]. Similarly to the organization of the devroom itself, this still
appears to be a work-in-progress and therefore I suggest waiting couple
more days before you start doing any recording. I will let you know and
update the CfP page for your reference when the discussions among the
FOSDEM organizers appear to settle.

(3)
However, be ready to match the length of your presentation to the
original duration you have proposed. If your recording is longer (but
still within the constraints of the schedule), you will cut in into your
Q&A. If your recording is longer than the slot in the schedule, the
system might reject it completely.

Having written than, we can certainly afford to be a bit cavalier with
the length of the talks this year (due to the small number of
submissions). Thus, if you feel you would make good use of a longer
slot, please let me know.

(4)
The last item on the schedule is intended as a live panel discussion
(which I will humbly moderate). If you would like to participate in the
panel or suggest somebody who should participate, I would very much
appreciate that. I will also approach some key people in our community
directly.

[1] https://github.com/FOSDEM/video/wiki/FOSDEM-2021-video-email-to-speakers

Best regards

Martin Decky