Hi Richard, On 8/02/2021 1:43 p.m., Richard Hartmann wrote:
I thought about this a lot. Initially I thought we should keep it, but:
Ongoing maintenance can be automated away. But what about abuse reports, etc? From freenode, I know how much time that eats, and it never ends. Do we have the people who want to commit to doing that work?
A middle ground might be to keep it running for a week, then archive it and re-use next year. ...
I am not a lawyer, but I doubt this would be legal. The GDPR is quite clear about this. If you keep information about people, you have a number of obligration (like the right of review by the user, ...) which you must be able to apply. Archiving information about people without their explicit concent is not legal. As I see it, the choice is simple: - either you maintain a service with all legal requirements that come with it. (e.g. you must still be able to intervene if your platform is used for illegal purposes, e.g. if somebody starts filling it with rascist comments and the moderator does not intervene). So this requires continues manpower (euh. womanpower ... euh personpower :-) ). - either you simply delete everything. Kristoff