Don't put words into other people's mouth. Let "the entire academic community" speak for itself. Liberty is an often misunderstood concept. It's not everyone doing whatever they want. If it impacts the ability of others to participate, it's not liberty, but privilege. A Code of Conduct tries to ensure that that's not happening. You want to rant about that, that's your choice. Not one I would take. - Jens On 9 January 2022 21:55:50 UTC, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:
On 08/10/2021 19:24, Daniel Pocock wrote:
On 08/10/2021 18:19, Benny Siegert wrote:
Is it a good moment to contemplate the relationship between Academic Freedom and CoCs?
No, it's not. Certainly not about anything relating to vaccination skepticism. This is not the hill to die on.
The email in question was about the privacy issues with the certificate, there was no reference to anti-vax movements
Oddly enough, Novak Djokovic is imprisoned 200 meters away from where I studied engineering and computer science.
Novak has conjured an anti-vax mob just 500 meters away from one of the world's most respected labs. I'm not mad about that: if we want to beat this pandemic, we need to understand what lies behind social phenomena like that. In 2021 I published photos that I took in the same street.
Academic Liberty requires us to listen to each other and contemplate all sides of the story. It does not compel us to agree with each other.
I share evidence. Emails from "Boarder Force". A map.
https://danielpocock.com/novak-djokovic-codes-of-conduct/
I share these insights with the community, just as I forecast Covid before FOSDEM 2020. This email appeared on the FOSDEM list on exactly the same day the Doherty Institute published their initial findings in January 2020:
https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2020q1/003046.html
https://www.doherty.edu.au/news-events/news/coronavirus
Suggesting that a concern about Academic Liberty is equivalent to anti-vax phenomena is incredibly offensive to the entire academic community.
Regards,
Daniel
-- Debian Developer https://danielpocock.com _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem