I thought about this a lot. Initially I thought we should keep it, but: Ongoing maintenance can be automated away. But what about abuse reports, etc? From freenode, I know how much time that eats, and it never ends. Do we have the people who want to commit to doing that work? A middle ground might be to keep it running for a week, then archive it and re-use next year. Or just send everyone a message with "you have one week to back up" and then delete it all. The one consideration: Should we archive public conversations alongside the public recordings? I am torn. On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 9:22 PM Kristoff <kristoff@skypro.be> wrote:
Hi Alasdair,
On 7/02/2021 7:51 p.m., Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
I know some people who have now created a matrix-account on the fosdem.org matrix-server for this weekend. Will this matrix account stay active? Or where they only intended for this weekend?
The simple answer is that we haven't decided yet. If you have opinions on this or any other aspect of this year's FOSDEM, please let feedback@fosdem.org know!
I do not really have an opinion on this.
I just asked this to know if I should advice them to get an account somewhere else, or not. :-)
On one side, it is good publicity to have the 'fosdem.org' name become part of the matrix landscape. On the other hand, you can ask yourself if it the job of fosdem to continuously support a service (i.e. the matrix server) while there do are sufficient other services that already do this.
I think the call is completely up to you! :-) I will adapt based on your decision.
Alasdair Kristoff
feedback mailing list feedback@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/feedback