Austin, On 14-01-17 12:06, Austin Hair wrote:
Does anybody have any plans to have a session about getting licensed? I read the big blue ARRL book 25 years ago, and now have the Chinese 2M HT that everyone has, but I follow the rules and don't transmit. Since I live in the Netherlands and am not yet fluent in Dutch, my options are limited, but I can travel. If not, I'll just bring the radio and listen in.
FOSDEM is primairely a conference for free and opensource developement, not really a hamradio conference. (I concider us to be "guests" on this event ) There will be no possiblity to do ham-radio exams at fosdem, but I think, if you are only fluent in English, the best option to do that is the yearly ham-radio event in Friedrichshafen, Germany (to be held this year from the 14th to 16th of July). I know that the ARRL has -in the past- provided the possiblity to get a US license at that event. I propose you contact them to ask them to be sure they will do this again this year: more info can be found here: http://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.de/ham-en/ http://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.de/ham-en/index-of-exhibitors/index.php?... If you have other questions, I propose you contact me offlist as the FOSDEM mailing-list is probably not the best place to discuss this. BTW. For people who are heading to FOSDEM for the SDR devroom, I have been asked by my contacts at the DARC to make a little bit of publicity for the "SDR Academy" to be held at Friedrichshafen on saterday the 15th of July http://2017.sdra.io/ Kristoff