Daniel Pocock schreef op ma 18-01-2016 om 18:11 [+0100]:
Given that FOSDEM is a free event and that people don't normally register to attend, would the FOSDEM team consider providing a self-service web-form for guests like this who do need to "register" and obtain their invitation letters on demand?
That would void the point of the whole "invitation letter" system, and could put the legal entity behind FOSDEM at risk.
I'm not sure what you mean by that
As far as I understand it, FOSDEM is a free event where everybody is welcome, no matter which country they were born in. Giving somebody a personalized letter that says "Dear Bob, we invite you to FOSDEM" only seems like a logical extension to the statements already on the website inviting anybody and everybody.
I understand that it is different if the letter provides a financial guarantee, but that was not requested in this case.
I think people are confusing the legal/bureaucratic term "letter of invitation", which *does* involve a financial guarantee (and is most likely what embassy/consulate personnel mean when they use those words), with the simple letter you are talking about (and which should probably be called something different to avoid confusion).
- he rang them and they said they might consider other evidence, such as an entry ticket or having his name on the web site, given that he already provided an invitation letter from another organization
If that would be really useful, maybe next year (I don't know if they still have time for that right now) the FOSDEM organisation can set up a "voluntary registration system" that publishes the name & location (and possibly project involvement?) of everybody who "registers" in a list on the site? -- Jan Claeys