[FOSDEM] FOSDEM 2009 beer event

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Dec 30 14:24:06 CET 2008

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Philip Paeps wrote:

> On 2008-12-30 09:23:55 (+0100), Bruno Costacurta <bcostacurta at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree with you : the smokers, as a minority, should go outside to smoke,
>> and I would expect the FOSDEM organization to take this logical decision.
>
> The FOSDEM organization is in the business of organizing one of the largest
> open source conferences in Europe.  It may surprise you that that keeps us
> busy enough not to have "spare time" to own bars or take other steps to rid
> the world of tobacco smokers.
>
> Of course, if you would like to go on a no-smoking crusade at the FOSDEM beer
> event, no member of the FOSDEM organization is going to stop you.

Would it harm to ask politely on the website (and in future communication)
to smoke outside whenever possible ? I never said I wanted a crusade, but
do we need laws (or crusades) for common sense to prevail ? I would hope
not.

If the organisation asks for it, it has more influence than anything
outsiders (or participants) are able to achieve during the beer event. And
it would only take a minute out of your busy schedule (probably less than
reading this thread ;-)).