[FOSDEM] Key Server Issues?

markus reichelt ml at mareichelt.de
Sun Feb 8 21:01:11 CET 2009

* Iacopo Benesperi <iacopo.benesperi at mozillaitalia.org> wrote:

> Kurt Roeckx ha scritto:
> >You can just usre the keyring which is at:
> >http://ksp.mdcc.cx/files/ksp-fosdem2009.keyring.asc.bz2
>
> Actually, I'm triing to figure out how to use caff to sign the
> keys. Which command should I give so caff ask for every key in the
> asc file if I want to sign it or not and make it send the key via
> e-mail to the key owner automatically (for the last one, I think I
> have to add "-m yes" to the command, but I can't imagine which smtp
> server caff will use...)?

Read the manpage :-)

I've successfully been using the follwing approach:

(edit the list of participants and get rid of the no-shows)

cat ksp-lt2k6.txt | grep pub | awk -F '/' '{ print $2; }' | \
awk '{print $1; }' > ~/tmp.keyprints.txt

caff -m -u mykeyid1,mykeyid2,mykeyid3   ` cat ~/tmp.keyprints.txt`

I adapted .caffrc to my needs, it's commented & self-explanatory

As for the smtp caff is using ... well, if you use postfix you need
to have canonicals enabled via /etc/postfix/canonical
user at your.local.setup valid at emailaddress.com

f.e. like listed in your key id; and dont forget to include

sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical

in /etc/postfix/main.cf

> What about the person who decided not to upload the key to the
> keyserver and gave me his fingerprint on paper?

you can either add the fingerprint(s) to the edited list of
participants and then fire up caff or do it all manually.

Generally speaking, many people prefer to have their signatures
mailed to them; that's what caff does. The uploading of signed keys
to public keyservers is widely regarded as bad netiquette.

If you have further questions regarding keys, feel free to contact me
off list. Please contact your distribution community for setting up a
mailserver, f.e. (I offer assistance with postfix on slackware though).

HTH

--
left blank, right bald