[FOSDEM] News : Job Corner

Philip Paeps philip at fosdem.org
Sun Jan 24 12:44:54 CET 2010

On 2010-01-24 12:07:55 (+0100), Alexander Mikhailian <mikhailian at mova.org> wrote:
> At the last FOSDEM, I left a pile of paper ads in the job corner. The ads were
> for a sysadmin job in one of the european space centers. Back in time, I felt
> a little awkward with regards to the rules. Was the job open source related?
> Definitely, it was. Was it an open source job?  Definitely, not.
>
> What I knew for sure is that the job opportunity was geeky enough to please
> the FOSDEM crowd.
>
>    Now, the questions:
>
> Can FOSDEM allow for geeky job ads that are not exactly about "Open Source
> Development" but are interesting for FOSDEM visitors?
>
> How to deal with the confusing rules (Open Source Related vs. NO Non-Open
> Source Jobs)
>
>   And a suggestion:
>
> Drop all rules  and make the job corner a self-organizing place. None will
> post SAP and Sharepoint job ads there anyway.

Yes - I don't know who came up with the bright idea to overly formalize this,
though I have some idea, but it's clearly over the top.

I feel there should be one rule: "use your common sense".  I realize that
common sense is surprisingly uncommon in these cloudy days, but FOSDEM
visitors are expected to have some.

If in doubt, leave it out.

FOSDEM staff (either collectively or individually) will keep an eye on the job
corner and eject things which common sense should not have allowed in in the
first place.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip at fosdem.org                                subscribed to the list.

  ... and this is only possible at a university, where we have vast
  amounts of slave-- student labour.
  	-- James Whittaker, giving a seminar on "How to Break Software"