[FOSDEM] fosdem-schedule packages for Maemo and Debian (was: News : Android, iPhone, Maemo, WebOS ... developers wanted)

gregor herrmann gregor+fosdem at comodo.priv.at
Sat Jan 29 01:27:16 CET 2011

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:08:17 +0100, info at fosdem.org wrote:

> Last edition there was a FOSDEM schedule application [1] available for almost
> every phone platform. Following this success we'd like to do a new
> call-for-development to ask the same thing again for this edition.
> -------- EXISTING CODE
>
> Make sure you use the existing code where possible,

I've now taken the code from the fosdem-maemo project [0] and created
fosdem-schedule packages from the current version in svn [1] for
maemo5 (fremantle-1.3; armel) and Debian (sid; armel, amd64, and
i386).

Changes:
--------

I haven't touched the code. On the packaging side,
- for maemo5 I've made only the necessary changes so that the package
  actually builds and runs [2]
- for Debian I've rewritten the debian/ directory from scratch in
  order to get a proper Debian package :) (and applied two tiny
  patches to get the files in the right places where they differ from
  maemo)

Installation:
-------------

The (source and binary) packages are availabe in my private repo.

Either add the location to your sources.list:

maemo5:
deb http://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/debian fremantle free

Debian:
deb http://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/debian unstable main

and run apt(-get|itude) update; apt(-get|itude) install fosdem-schedule

or grab and install the packages manually:

maemo5:
http://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/debian/pool/free/f/fosdem-schedule/

Debian:
http://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/debian/pool/main/f/fosdem-schedule/

Info about the repo signing key is available at
http://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/debian/

First start/configuration:
--------------------------

On Debian you might have to rm ~/.fosdem if you had a previous
version installed. (On maemo5 this happens in the postinst.)

Don't be shocked: when you start fosdem-schedule you will see the
schedule of last year's fosdem (the sql version is still included).
Go to Menu > Conferences, add a new conference and enter
http://fosdem.org/schedule/xml
(You can delete or leave the "FOSDEM 2010" conference there.)

Make sure to select "FOSDEM 2011" before leaving the dialog; in the
main window you might have to switch tabs once to get the dates on the
left updated.

PS: For the N900 there's also sojourner; cf. the author's
announcement at
http://blogs.gnome.org/wjjt/2011/01/26/sojourner-another-fosdem-schedule-app-for-the-n900/

Cheers,
gregor

[0] http://sourceforge.net/projects/fosdem-maemo/
[1] https://fosdem-maemo.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fosdem-maemo/trunk
    revision 262
[2] from the changelog:
  * debian/rules:
    - call qmake in configure target
    - call make distclean in clean target
    - remove generated files in clean target
  * debian/control:
    - add build dependency on sqlite3
    - build depend on libqt4-experimental-dev instead of libqt4-dev (importing
      schedules with the libqt4-* stack leads to a segfault)
    - add explicit (build) dependency on libqt4-experimental-sql-sqlite
  * Remove references to 2010 in debian/control and .desktop file.

--
 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Beatles: Let It Be