[FOSDEM] Coronavirus

Jasper Nuyens jnuyens at linuxbe.com
Sat Feb 1 09:28:39 CET 2020

Dear,

please have a look at this article:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30260-9/fulltext#

It matches with my own number crunching efforts and the
less-than-exponential growth we see today in Wuhan as a result of the
drastic measures they undertook there. This is a glimpse of hope.
This evolution will be in vain and exponential growth will resume if
similar 'extreme' measures will not be applied in other affected areas
across the world. Let's take an example to the discipline and
carefulness of the Chinese people to not infect others.

I quote: "draconian measures that limit population mobility should be
seriously and immediately considered in affected areas, as should
strategies to drastically reduce within-population contact rates
through cancellation of mass gatherings, school closures, and
instituting work-from-home arrangements".

Please contact your health and political representatives to take
action sooner than later; as these will have exponential effects. It
does take political courage to take hard and early measures; but it is
necessary.
The alternative strategy in the past - and educated to epidemiologists
- has been to prevent mass panic by minimising the effects and spreads
of a disease. But, as this disease spreads this fast, this strategy
will be quickly obsoleted by,... mass panic. Ensuring the public can
keep their trust in their elected officials who are supposed to
protect them, is the best option. We have time now to prepare and act.

I invite attendees to the international gathering at Fosdem to perform
afterwards - as much as practically possible - a self imposed 2 week
'holiday at home' quarantine regime and the other safety measures as
implemented in Wuhan, to limit possible transmissions.

Thank you for considering this and preparing for what looks like
drastic actions - my own numbers indicate the spread of this virus in
Europe might only lag 3 weeks behind the spread in Wuhan - with a high
variability (meaning a high impact of possible countermeasures).

Chorine water (a Javel solution) can properly destroy this (and other)
virus and can be used to to disinfect door handles and other often
touched surfaces. Yet be careful for your eyes and skin with this.

“BLEACH SOLUTION
A simple and inexpensive way to keep your sick room clean is with a
solution of bleach. Ordinary household bleach can be prepared in a
strong (1:10) solution and a weaker (1:100) solution. The strong
version is for disinfecting patient waste and for disinfecting spills
of blood, mucus, or other bodily fluids. The weaker version is useful
for disinfecting surfaces, bedding, medical equipment, and reusable
protective clothing (which shall then be washed). It can also
disinfect aprons, boots, and items to be thrown away. Yes, items you
discard must be disinfected.
To prepare a bleach solution, you’ll need:
•   A mixing container that can hold ten “measures.” For example, a
ten-cup container.
•   Containers to hold the solutions (consider labels or separate
colors for the 1:10 and 1:100 solutions).
•   Chlorine bleach
•   Clean water
•   A measuring cup or similar item

Now, mark the mixing container at the 90 percent level. This will tell
you the proper proportions for your mix. Then, pour water to the 90
percent level and add the rest with your bleach. You have just made
your 1:10 solution.
To make your 1:100 bleach solution, pour water to the 90[…]”

Excerpt From: Joseph Alton. “The Ebola Survival Handbook: An MD Tells
You What You Need to Know Now to Stay Safe”.

Suggestion: I filled a flower spray with a weaker solution to be
practical to disinfect received packages, door handles and other
contact surfaces.

--
Jasper Nuyens
Managing Director, Linux Belgium